Living History Association

35th Alabama Infantry & 13th Kentucky Infantry Regiment

Click here to edit subtitle


The Thirty-fifth organized at Lagrange, in Franklin, April 1862. Ordered to Corinth, it was there brigaded under Gen. Breckinridge. It followed that officer to Louisiana, and took part in the attack on Baton Rouge, losing quite a number. It was part of the force with which Van Dorn assaulted Corinth, and the Thirty-fifth was a severe loser in the casualties of that fierce struggle. Placed under Gen. Buford, the regiment was under fire at the first bombardment of Port Hudson. It passed some time in that vicinity, and in May 1863 the regiment was engaged at Baker's Creek with light loss. Escaping the perils of Vicksburg by following Gen. Loring out of the battle, the Thirty-fifth was soon after sent to the Army of Tennessee; but in February 1864 went back to Mississippi to confront Sherman's advance. The regiment was now in the brigade of Gen. T.B. Scott of Louisiana, consisting of the Twenty-seventh, Forty-ninth, Fifty-fifth, and Fifty-seventh Alabama, and Twelfth Louisiana. Rejoining the Army of Tennessee, the Thirty-fifth was part of the resolute column that stood in front of Sherman's army during the great struggle in north Georgia, and in the bloody and fruitless sacrifices made before the gates of Atlanta. During that time it lost largely, 65 being killed or wounded July 22 at Atlanta, and 27 on the 28th following. The regiment moved into Tennessee with Gen. Hood, and was in the advance in the attack on the outpost at Decatur, where it lost 35 killed and wounded. At the bloody shambles of Franklin, the Thirty-fifth lost 150 killed and wounded, or one-half its effective force. The loss at Nashville was light, and the remnant of the regiment proceeded eastward to renew the then hopeless struggle in the Carolinas. The Thirty-fifth was surrendered with the Army of Tennessee.


Field and Staff

Colonels - James W. Robertson of Franklin; resigned. Edwin Goodwin of Franklin; died in the service. Samuel S. Ives of Lauderdale; wounded at Franklin.

Lieutenant Colonels - Edwin Goodwin; promoted. Samuel S. Ives; promoted. A.E. Ashford of Lawrence.

Majors Wm. Hunt of Franklin; transferred. S.S. Ives; promoted. A.E. Ashford; promoted. John S. Dickson of Madison; killed at Franklin.


Captains, and Counties from Which the Companies Came.

Lawrence - Richard O. Picket; captured at Corinth; resigned. Ezekiel Johnson.

Lauderdale - W.B. Taylor; resigned. J.B. Patton; wounded at Franklin.

Lawrence - A.E. Ashford; promoted. . . . . . . Tathem.

Lauderdale - Samuel S. Ives; wounded at Baton Rouge; promoted. J.R. Mitchell; wounded at Corinth.

Limestone - John West.

Limestone - L.N. Martin.

Madison - John S. Dickson; promoted. Joseph Brown.

Madison - . . . . Peavy; resigned. J.A. Flanagan.

Franklin - Thaddeus Felton; killed at Corinth. John Harris; died in the service. Sam'l D. Stewart; killed at Franklin.

Franklin - Red Jones.

Col James W. Robertson

Pvt Charles Miles Patterson Hampton

Maj William Henry Hunt

Pvt Frederick Moseley Nelson

Capt Thaddeus W. Felton
Pvt Jacob William Battle

Capt Samuel D. Stewart

Pvt Stephen Eason

Pvt Burgess Miller

Pvt William H. Pope

73rd Indiana Infantry Regiment

The 73rd Indiana was organized at South Bend, Indiana and mustered in August 16, 1862 for a 3 Year Enlistment. It left the state at once for Lexington, Kentucky, but moved to Louisville early in September. It was assigned to the 20th Brigade, 6th Division of Buell’s Army, and joined in the pursuit of Bragg. It was in reserve at Perryville and continued in pursuit of the enemy as far as Wild Cat. It returned to Glasgow, Kentucky, and moved thence to Gallatin, Tennessee, where it surprised the enemy and rove him from the field, capturing 19 prisoners. The regiment marched into Nashville on November 26, then proceeded to Lebanon, where it was in a skirmish, and moved with Rosecrans’ army to Stone’s river, which the regiment crossed on the evening of December 29, in company with the 51st, being the first of the army to make the crossing. The 73rd was compelled to recross the river under the fire of an entire division, and it was in sharp skirmishing on the 30th. On the 31st, its brigade double-quicked a mile and a half to reinforce the right wing which had been crowded back a distance of 2 miles, taking a position and engaging twice its numbers. It fought at close range for 20 minutes, losing more than one-third the number engaged, then charged and drove the force in its front from the field. The advance of a brigade on its flank compelled it to fall back a short distance, but the enemy’s advance had been checked and the right wing saved. Rosecrans complimented the regiment in person after the battle. In these operations the regiment was under fire at the front for six days, and was so completely exhausted it was placed in reserve on January 3, 1863. Its loss was 2 killed, 46 wounded, and 36 missing. It was assigned to Colonel Streight’s independent provisional brigade on April 10, and accompanied it to Eastport, Mississippi, where it was mounted and moved to Tuscumbia, Alabama, from which place it started on the raid into Georgia. At Day’s gap this brigade, number 1,500, was attacked by 4,000 of Forrest’s and Roddey’s cavalry. The 73rd, on the left flak, repulse a fierce charge and the whole brigade then charged the enemy, driving him from the field. The enemy reformed during the day and made a second attack at Crooked creek, but was repulsed with a heavy loss. The brigade was again attacked at Blount’s farm, the 73rd bearing the brunt of the fight, and Col Hathaway being killed. At Cedar bluffs, utterly exhausted, almost out of ammunition and surrounded, the brigade surrendered. The men were sent north on parole and later exchanged, but the officers were sent to prison. Returning to the field several months later, the regiment, under Maj Wade, who had been released by the prison authorities, was placed on guard duty along the Louisville & Nashville railroad, with its headquarters at Triune. After several minor encounters with the enemy it was attached to the 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 20th Corps, and during the summer of 1864, it defended Prospect, Tennessee, against Wheeler’s raid. It was ordered to Decatur, Alabama, in September 1864, and thence to Athens, which place it occupied and put in an excellent state for defense, including a bomb proof in the fort. In October, 4,000 of Buford’s cavalry with 4 pieces of artillery, appeared and drove in the pickets, and next morning opened a heavy artillery fire, but inflicted no damage. A demand for the surrender of the fort was refused and the fight continued, the enemy being repulsed with heavy loss. The garrison numbered but 500. The regiment was ordered to Decatur to assist in the defense of that point, where the garrison of 5,000 held off Hood’s army of 35,000 from October 26 to 30, the enemy finally withdrawing. The winter was passed at Stevenson, Huntsville and Larkinsville on railroad guard duty, the regiment being engaged in numerous skirmishes, and it was mustered out at Nashville July 1, 1865. The recruits were transferred to the 29th Indiana, serving with that regiment until it was mustered out. The original strength of the 73rd was 1,020; gain by recruits, 149, total, 1,169. Loss by death, 229; desertion, 74; unaccounted for, 5.


20th Brigade, 6th Division, Army of the Ohio – September 1862

20th Brigade, 6th Division, II Corps, Army of the Ohio – to November 1862

3rd Brigade, 1st Division, Left Wing, XIV Corps, Army of the Cumberland – To January 1863

3rd Brigade, 1st Division, XXI Corps, Army of the Cumberland – To April 1863

Streight’s Provisional Brigade, Department of the Cumberland – To May 1863

Prisoners of War – To January 1864

1st Brigade, District of Nashville, Tennessee, Department of the Cumberland – January 1864

1st Brigade, Rousseau’s 3rd Division, XII Corps, Army of the Cumberland – To April 1864

1st Brigade, 4th Division, XX Corps, Department of the Cumberland – To March 1865

District of Northern Alabama, Department of the Cumberland – To June 1865

Mustered Out of Service – July 1, 1865


Detailed History

Ordered to Lexington, Kentucky. Evacuation of Lexington – August 31, 1862

Pursuit of Bragg, to London, Kentucky – October 1 – 22, 1862

Battle of Perryville, Kentucky – October 8, 1862 (Reserve)

March to Nashville, Tennessee – October 22 – November 9, 1862

Duty in Nashville, Tennessee – November 9 – December 26, 1862

Advance on Murfreesboro, Tennessee – December 26-30, 1862

Battle of Stones River – December 30 – 31, 1862 & January 1 – 3, 1863

Duty at Murfreesboro – January 3 – April, 1863

Reconnaissance to Nolensville and Versailles – January 13-15, 1863

Streight’s Raid to Rome, Georgia – April 26 – May 3rd, 1863

Day’s Cap, Sand Mountain, Crooked Creek and Hog Mountail – April 30, 1863

East Branch, Black Warrior Creek – May 1, 1863

Blount’s Farm and Center – May 2, 1863

Cedar Bluff (Regiment Captured) – May 3, 1863

Reorganized and rejoined army at Nashville, Tennessee – December 1863

Guard Duty along Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, and Picketing Tennessee River from Draper’s Ferry to Limestone Point. Headquarters at Triana, Alabama – December 1863 – September 1864.

Paint Rock Bridge – April 8, 1864

Scout from Triana to Somerville – July 29, 1864 (Detachment)

Action at Athens, Alabama – October 1 – 2, 1864

Defense of Decatur – October 26 – 29, 1864

Duty at Stevenson, Alabama – October 29, 1864 to January 1865.

At Huntsville, Alabama, and along Mobile & Charleston Railroad – January 1865 – July 1865

Gurley’s Tank – February 16, 1865 (detachment)

LaGrange Military Academy

After LaGrange College moved to Florence in January 1855, a group of LaGrange citizens organized a college in the vacant buildings under the old name. Rev. Felix Johnson was elected president. To increase the patronage, a military feature was introduced in 1857. Major J.W. Robertson became superintendent and classes were suspended while a third major building was erected for the cadets. The college reopened in February 1858, as LaGrange College and Military Academy. The new institution's financial situation was dismal until the State of Alabama provided military equipment and scholarships. The Academy soon flourished and became known as the "West Point of the South." In 1860, the name was changed to LaGrange Military Academy. By 1861, the enrollment was almost 200 cadets. During its existence, 259 cadets from nine states attended the Academy.

In 1861, many LaGrange cadets left to join the Confederate Army. Consequently, the Academy was forced to suspend classes on March 1, 1862. Only two cadets had graduated. Major Robertson was authorized to organize the 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. He was elected colonel and the remaining cadets formed part of one company. The regiment was mustered into the Confederate Army on March 12, 1862, for three years. On April 28, 1863, the 10th Missouri Calvary of the Union Army, known as the "Destroying Angels," commanded by Col. Florence M. Comyn, burned the Military Academy, the nearby La Fayette Female Academy, many businesses, and homes. The village of LaGrange dwindled away. In 1995, LaGrange Park was transferred from the Alabama Historical Commission to the LaGrange Living Historical Association. Thereafter, the site of Alabama's first chartered college was enhanced and stands today as a historical landmark.

Listed on Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1976.

Cdt-Capt Thaddeus W. Felton

Cdt George Taylor Rather

Cdt John Allen Wyeth

Cdt Samuel Robert Meredith

Cdt C.C. Moore
Ord Sgt James Henderson Strain
Dr. A.W. Stephenson
Cdt-Capt John Smith Napier
Cdt Israel Pickens Guy

Cdt John Drury Vinson

Cdt William Benjamin Ford

Cdt Clarence Cullens
Cdt-Sgt Jacob William Battle

Cdt-Capt Peyton L. Wade

Cdt James Alston McKinstry

Cdt John Goodwin
Cdt William H. Hope

Cdt-Sgt Maj Robert Thompson Coles

Prof Albert A. McGregor
Maj James W. Robertson

Cdt F.M. Handley

Cdt James Hubbard Fraser

Cdt Joseph Miller Rand

Cdt William Hickman Clopton

Cdt-Cpl Thomas Edward Stanley

Prof Albert Alexander McGregor
Cdt Frederick Moseley Nelson
Cdt John Acklin Turner

Cdt Polk Cleere

Cdt William Martin Elgin

Cdt James Mason Cotnam

Prof Capt William Henry Hunt
Prof Rev. W.G. Williams

War of 1861 Living History Association

The 35th Alabama Infantry War of 1861 Living History Association was organized at Olustee, Mississippi, February 2013. However, the unit's history goes further back to May 2009 when it formed as the 4th Tennessee Cavalry (Dismounted). The 4th Tennessee Cavalry was a member of the Armies of Tennessee from 2009 to 2012. The unit participated in the 150th Anniversary Cycle, including but not limited to; 150th Battle of Shiloh, 150th Battle of Murfreesboro (1st), 150th Battle of Chickamauga, and the 150th Battle of Franklin.

The unit consists of one military unit, a medical staff, a Christian commission, and a civilian attachment, as well as a Corps of Cadets.